Tuesday 13 October 2015

Retro Kitchen Apron

I have yet to meet a crafter who doesn't have a ridiculously huge stash of fabrics, I was no different but I have been on a decluttering mission and I made a deal with myself to only buy more fabric once I have used up my old stash - this is forcing me to think differently about what I already own (and why I bought it in the first place)

Fredrika Fabric - Our Handmade Home

I bought this fabric about 6 years ago, I can't remember what (if anything) I had in mind at the time but either way it never amounted to anything.

I cook all our meals from scratch and I am frequently splattered with tomato sauces and curries - inevitably just before the doorbell rings and our guests arrive... I always have to rush to get changed before we eat.

Fredrika Fabric - Our Handmade Home

Previous aprons have been... well... ugly and were 'decluttered' years ago. I wanted something extra pretty that I won't mind wearing over my more 'dressed up' clothes and looks funky with regular everyday jeans and T too.

It is a super-cute design, I adjusted this pattern a little to suit my preferred style. It is very narrow at the front - if you are making the same pattern check it is wide enough before cutting - I wish I had.

Fredrika Fabric Retro Apron  - Our Handmade Home

The fabric is quite heavy duty but it sits nicely. I made it fully lined in the coordinating blue fabric because I wanted the apron to look professional - It hangs on show in the kitchen and I have enough family and friends who would inspect it for quality. (You know who you are!)

My 9YO Small acted as director and photographer for the fashion show hence the 'soft focus' (Hair and make-up dept were clearly on their tea-break)

Modeling the Retro Apron  - Our Handmade Home

The Nitty Gritty:
  • The fabric is Fredrika by IKEA they still stock it in the UK, the lining and straps are made from a coordinating plain blue IKEA fabric that I can't find on the website but any similar weight fabric would do.
  • The pattern is available for free from Joann - I omitted the ruffle along the bottom and turned the neck band into a simple loop.
  • I do all my sewing on Nefertiti, my 92 year old treadle singer sewing machine. I have an electric machine too, but the last time I got her out was to dust and oil her... 2 years ago.
  • I was listening to some of the beautiful romantic lamentations of Richard Hawley while sewing in the late evenings. You need a bit of a crooner when sewing don't you think?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments, they really make my day! I try to respond when I can.

I moderate all comments to cut out the stinky spam. So please be patient if it hasn't popped up immediately.

If you ask a question remember to check back for an answer later.

Thank-you, you wonderful peeps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...